Borlaug Poster Competition award winners
Congratulations to the winners of the 18th Annual Norman Borlaug Lectureship Poster Competition:
- First place – Erin Huckins, senior in global resource systems; Caitlin Tipping, senior in global resource systems
- Second place – Molly Moe, sophomore in animal ecology; Isabella Portner, junior in dairy science
- Third place – Marit Hovey, junior in global resource systems; Gracie Rechkemmer, junior in global resource systems
- First place – Mike Sserunjogi, agricultural and biosystems engineering
- Second place – Ma. Cristine Concepcion Ignacio, agricultural and biosystems engineering
- Third place – Si Chen, food science and human nutrition
The poster competition took place the evening of Oct. 14, in the Memorial Union, prior to the Norman Borlaug Lecture. Eleven undergraduate students and 13 graduate students representing various departments within Iowa State presented their posters related to world issues.
This year’s Norman Borlaug Lecture was given by 2019 World Food Prize Laureate Simon Groot, a sixth-generation seedsman and the founder and leader of East-West Seed. Groot shared with attendees his work related to making vegetable seeds available to millions of smallholder farmers throughout Asia, Africa, and Latin America, allowing them to earn greater incomes and improve nutrition through enhanced vegetable production. The lecture was moderated by Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen.
The lecture serves to honor Dr. Norman Borlaug (1914-2009), a Cresco, Iowa, native whose discoveries sparked the Green Revolution. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 for his contribution to world peace through his wheat research and production that saved millions of lives worldwide. He founded the World Food Prize in 1986 to recognize the achievements of individuals who have advanced human development by improving the quality, quantity or availability of food in the world.News