The Engaged Scholarship Funding Program solicits proposals in the fall. The intent of this funding program is to assist College of Human Sciences and Human Sciences Extension and Outreach faculty and staff to procure funding for research projects that focus on engagement, translate research into practice, and involve and benefit individuals, families, and communities in Iowa. Faculty and staff develop and lead projects in Iowa counties targeted to individuals, families, and communities, and Iowa’s counties and people are exposed to and incorporated into projects that include collaboration with researchers and scholars at Iowa State University.
Complete details: Refer to the Engaged Scholarship Funding document (PDF) to see the details on committee membership and duties, funding, reviewing process, and specific requirements.
Proposals will be reviewed and funding decisions made according to the following timeline:
- December 2, 2016: Written submissions due to the Engaged Scholarship Funding Program committee chair, Dr. Deb Sellers (email@example.com). Video interviews (see below) with Principal Investigators must be scheduled by close of business on this day.
- December 5-16, 2016: Video interviews conducted with Principal Investigators.
- January 6, 2017: Initial review of submissions completed by the Engaged Scholarship Funding Program committee.
- January 8-June 2, 2017: Review of submissions by County Extension Councils.
- June 16, 2017: Announcement of awards.
- Funds are available on or before July 1, 2017 and must be spent by June 30, 2018
The Principal Investigator must be full-time faculty or staff in the College of Human Sciences or Human Sciences Extension and Outreach and eligible to lead external funding proposals. Principal Investigators are encouraged to contact Dr. Debra Sellers to discuss aspects of their submission, to have questions answered, or for assistance with initiating contacts with counties.
Written submissions must be combined into one document (in order as outlined above) and submitted via e-mail (in Word format) to Dr. Deb Sellers (firstname.lastname@example.org) with Engaged Scholarship Funding Proposal in the subject line. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach communications staff will inform Dr. Sellers of all completed interviews.
PIs receiving an Engaged Scholarship Award are expected to:
- Respond to requests for interviews related to the project by internal or external media. The project sponsored by this funding may be publicized by Human Sciences Extension and Outreach, the College of Human Sciences, or the County Extension Council/s that fund the proposal through its web pages, news releases, and/or social media.
- Respond to requests for verbal or written reports by either Human Sciences Extension and Outreach, the College of Human Sciences, or the County Extension Councils that fund the proposal.
- Report to Dr. Sellers the submission of proposals based upon this funding.
- Submit to Dr. Sellers any academic or community publications, papers, or conference presentations emerging from this project. All such products should acknowledge the support of Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
- Submit an electronic report of the results from the funded project (6 pages maximum) to Dr. Sellers within 90 days of the completion of the project.
To learn of other ways for faculty and staff to partner with Human Sciences Extension and Outreach, download this handout.