After graduation, Katherine hopes to work as a bridal consultant. When she isn’t studying, Katherine enjoys being outdoors and spending time with friends and family.
Get to know Katherine
- Major: Apparel, merchandising, and design and marketing
- Class: Sophomore
- Hometown: Libertyville, Illinois
- Career goal: Bridal consultant in New York City
- Clubs/activities: Common Threads learning community, The Fashion Show, TREND magazine, National Retail Federation, Collegiate Women in Business, CHS Ambassador
- Awards/honors: Dean’s list, top 2% of class, Heiden Fund for Women in Business Scholarship, Evonne Smith Endowed Fund for Excellence in Apparel, Merchandising and Design
- Favorite place on campus: LeBaron Hall or Union Drive Community Center
- Most influential ISU mentor: Sarah Bennett-George
- Favorite class: AESHM 272, Fashion Show Production and Promotion.
- Why Iowa State: The apparel, merchandising, and design program
Katherine Haidvogel steps out of comfort zone for New York City internship
Making a college decision was not initially easy for Katherine Haidvogel. Convinced she was going to attend another university to follow in her brother’s footsteps, she decided to attend a “Day in the Life” campus visit at Iowa State.
“[During the visit], I talked to three different people who were in the [apparel, merchandising, and design] program, and it just completely changed my mind, Katherine said. “I remember riding back home and being like, ‘I’ve completely changed my mind. I know Iowa State is for me now.’”
Once she made her college decision, choosing a major wasn’t difficult for Katherine. She has always had a knack for fashion, and her passion only grew when she and her mother started routinely watching TLC’s reality television show, “Say Yes to the Dress.”
“Watching the show ‘Say Yes to the Dress’ is what really made me realize how passionate I was about the fashion industry and is what made me want to go into the bridal industry for my career,” Katherine said.
Katherine fell in love with New York City after taking a weekend trip there her freshman year of high school. Since then, she has dreamed of moving to the city someday to work. Making her dreams a reality, she accepted a summer internship with, New York-based evening wear rental service, Nova Octo.
“If you would have told me a year ago that I’d be moving to New York and being on my own, I would have said that’s insane because I just didn’t think I was ready for that,” Katherine said. “It has made me realize how self-sufficient and independent I can be.”
At Nova Octo, Katherine worked as a styling intern—regularly assisting stylists in client consultations. Additionally, she worked to fill e-commerce orders, process returns, communicate with clients, and improve organizational systems.
“I think [this internship] set me up well for a career in the luxury or bridal industry,” Katherine said.
Katherine enjoyed seeing the unique style preferences of each client she works with.
“I love the challenge of each appointment and not knowing what to expect,” Katherine said. “You have no idea what [the client] is going to end up with, which is just really fun getting to see the style of each person.”
After graduation, Katherine dreams of working as a bridal consultant in New York City.
“I would love to work at [Kleinfeld Bridal] from ‘Say Yes to the Dress,’” Katherine said. “That’s always been a big dream of mine.”Student Spotlights