Changing Majors

Are you a new student that has not started classes yet or are you a current student?

Current Students

If you are a current student at ISU and want to change your major, please complete the following steps to make the change of major official:

1. Contact your current academic advisor. Let them know you want to change your major, and what you would like your new major to be.

2. Watch your ISU email for further instructions. You may receive further instructions from your current advisor or your advisor in your new major.

3. If you have any questions or problems, please visit the Human Sciences Student Services Office at 131 MacKay Hall (, 515-294-6466).

New Students

If you are a new student and you have not started classes:

  • If you have been offered admission to Iowa State but have decided to change your major, you should complete the change application form at the Office of Admissions website.
  • If your new major is in a different college than your previous one, the admissions office will notify the colleges of the change. If you have not attended orientation, you will receive a new invitation from your new college.
  • If you have already attended orientation, you need to contact the advising office of your new major to make adjustments to your schedule after you make a change of major.

Need More Information?

Human Sciences Student Services

131 MacKay Hall
2302 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA 50011-1078