Have you ever wanted to see your creation in a clothing store? Here’s your chance! Cyclones Take New York is a contest where you have the opportunity to create an Iowa State-themed graphic design for a clothing line targeted towards women.
Your design will be used to create an exclusive line of products that will be available to Iowa State retailers throughout the nation – including Innovate 1858, a student-run retail store in the Student Innovation Center.
Designs will utilize official Iowa State logos and the winning design will be sponsored by Blue84, a premier wholesale supplier of custom-designed apparel.
Don’t miss your chance to create a product for Cyclone nation and have an unforgettable experience at New York Fashion Week!
The best part? Winners go to New York for Fashion Week!
The top two eligible entrants will win a trip to New York Fashion Week in September 2024 and have their designs produced and made available to participating Iowa State retailers. In New York, you’ll participate in the University of New York Fashion Week with other students from colleges and universities throughout the nation. The third place winner will also have their design go in to retail production (but will not go to New York).
Get Creative – and Enter!
- Jan. 29: Contest opens with a mandatory kickoff event from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the Student Innovation Center’s Stepatorium. The rules and guidelines will be shared. The ISU Trademark Licensing Office will provide essential guidance on the use of Iowa State marks in the contest and customer segment information. Representatives from Blue84 will also present their products and introduce their company. All of the information presented will be necessary for your submission.
- Feb. 20: An optional help session will be held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the Student Innovation Center’s Launchpad. Stop by if you have any questions about your submission.
- Feb. 27: Design submissions are due by 11:59 p.m.
- Feb. 29: Ten finalists will pitch their idea to a panel of judges (Student Innovation Center Launch Pad; 2 to 6 p.m.)
- March: Winners will be announced
- Designs may incorporate the following ISU trademarks: ISU Style Guide
- Designs must not incorporate or use any other ISU trademarks or other university symbols, word marks, logos or other indicia except as provided above. (For clarity, this includes the vintage, commemorative marks, and spirit collections.)
- Designs cannot contain any third-party copyrighted or proprietary material (including but not limited to literary works of any person other than the entrant(s), corporate names, trademarks, slogans, or lyrics) or otherwise infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of a third party. Please include any written permission with your entry.
- Work must be original designs created by the submitter(s). Top designers must provide original design files in vector format on the day of the pitch competition to be eligible.
Entry Submission Requirements
Entries must meet the requirements detailed below.
Your submission must be a PDF file with a slide deck presentation. There is a 10-slide limit for the slide deck presentation, including the title slide and references. You should consider this a project bid sent to a potential client versus a classroom presentation. You will have 10 minutes to pitch your idea followed by 5 minutes for questions. You must also submit a vector file of the design and your headshot.
- The title page should establish the brand image and company identity visually.
- Should include your name and email address
- The trademark office and Department of Apparel, Events and Hospitality Management wordmark should be prominently displayed along with the participating licensed vendor and Innovate 1858’s logos (these will be made available to all students interested in entering)
- Summarize in less than 50 words the current gap in the market.
- Define Women’s Collegiate Licensed Apparel
Target Market Research
- Demographic and Sociographic information
- Include expendable income
- Data-driven trend forecasting (WGSN)
- Identify where the product will be sold (Innovate 1858, the Bookstore, Barefoot Outfitters, Cy’s Locker Room, etc.)
Mood Board (Visual Content)
- Communicates a clear theme and message that will be reflected in the proposed design’s mood/feel/vibe.
- The board is arranged in an aesthetically pleasing way, following the elements and principles of design.
- Graphic Design featuring one of the ISU-approved marks – Usage of the marks must follow the outlines set by the University Trademark Office
- RGB information is provided for all colors used in the design
Rendering of Design (shown on the participating licensed vendor’s product)
- Design is rendered to scale on one of the available Products
- Include proposed cost price, retail price, and percent markup
Develop a hangtag for the product featuring the contest and yourself.
Provide time for judges to ask questions about your work.
- A minimum of 3 references
- The file name of your submission must contain your name.
Submit Your Entry
Your entry can be uploaded to the submission portal below and should contain the following items:
- Your slide deck in the format as outlined above
- Your headshot
- A vector file of your design
- All file names of the files you submit must contain your first and last name. You should also consider putting all three files (slide deck, headshot, vector) in a folder, compressing/zipping that folder and uploading your entry as one folder with the folder’s name containing your first and last name.
Full Contest Rules
The full contest rules can be accessed by clicking the button below and you should read these thoroughly if you plan to enter the 2024 Cyclones Take New York contest.
Sponsors and Partners
This contest and prizes are brought to you by the Iowa State University Trademark Licensing Office, the Department of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management, Innovate 1858, the College of Human Sciences and a participating licensed vendor, Blue84.
We strongly recommend attending the kickoff event and the help session to ensure your submission is complete and all of your questions are answered. You can also contact Courtney Barbour, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Emily M. S. Worrall, email@example.com, with questions.