Cassidy Oberbroeckling aspires to plan events and communications for a city, or plan corporate events. When she isn’t busy studying, she likes to get crafty, watch NCIS, go on adventures with friends, and clean.
Get to know Cassidy
- Majors: Event management and advertising
- Class: Senior
- Hometown: Runnells, Iowa (Polk County)
- Career goal: Plan events and communications for a city or plan corporate events
- Clubs/activities: Event Management Club, College of Human Sciences Ambassadors
- Awards/honors: Dean’s list
- Favorite place on campus: West lounge in the Memorial Union sitting at a desk facing Lake Laverne
- Most influential ISU mentor: Rita McClain
- Favorite classes: EVENT 333: Entertainment Venue Management; ADVRT 335: Advertising Media Planning
- Why Iowa State: Sister’s high praise of Iowa State, perfect distance from home, and the event management program
Cassidy Oberbroeckling gains leadership skills through internships and club experience
During high school, Cassidy Oberbroeckling found enjoyment in helping plan her prom, Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings, and party events for her friends. When it came to deciding on a college, she knew Iowa State University would be a perfect fit for her, as her sister who attended Iowa State often spoke highly of her Cyclone experience.
Going into her first year of college, Cassidy was anxious about gaining internship experience right away, so she quickly started looking. During her sophomore year, she landed an internship with the Des Moines Golf and Country Club, where she learned about behind-the-scenes work that goes into the event management industry.
Her next internship was at Bethany Life in Story City, Iowa, a care facility for individuals who require assisted living.
“At Bethany Life, I planned the spring gala and got to see the impact on the nursing home members and their families. It was so rewarding getting to see my hard work pay off in the end,” Cassidy said.
Cassidy’s most recent internship was through Varsity Car Wash in Ames, and was centered around customer relations, offering her a glimpse into a different side of the industry.
“I feel more confident interacting with individuals or in any kind of scenario after this experience,” she said.
Outside of her numerous internship experiences, Cassidy is heavily involved in the Event Management Club on campus. Through the club, she has been able to gain networking experiences and grow closer with her classmates.
She also highly credits the staff and faculty in the event management program for helping prepare her for her future after Iowa State.
“Staff and faculty make the event management program; their experiences are really valuable,” Cassidy said. “I feel like I could go anywhere in the world to get a job because of the connections the faculty have.”
Now, entering her last semester at Iowa State, Cassidy is thrilled about life beyond graduation. She’s especially excited for the plethora of opportunities coming her way, moving to a new city, and getting to meet new people.Student Spotlights