Have You Accepted an Unpaid Internship or Student Teaching Position?
These scholarships are for CHS undergraduate students who enroll in internships or student teaching appointments where salary or wages are not paid. Scholarships will range from $1,000 to $2,000 to aid with living expenses.
The larger awards will be considered for students serving in an unpaid internship within the state of Iowa that will benefit economic or community development, state or government agencies, schools, or social-service agencies.
- Be an undergraduate in a College of Human Sciences major and maintain enrollment during the scholarship period.
- Be registered for a 400-level unpaid internship or student teaching experience that is:
- required for the student’s degree program
- credit-bearing during the semester applied
- not awarded with any other form(s) of compensation (including stipends, travel reimbursements, etc)
- Work at least 180 hours across a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
- Maintain enrollment in internship and finish during the eligible semester. Students who drop, withdraw, or do not pass the internship are required to repay funds to Iowa State. Should an internship be cancelled by the employer prior to the start date, funds must be returned to Iowa State. In addition, if the internship is cancelled prior to the 8 week mark or before 180 hours is accrued, the funds must be returned to Iowa State.
- Secondary education students in other colleges are not eligible for this scholarship.
Written documentation may be requested from the internship/student teaching provider or Iowa State academic advisor regarding the estimated number of hours and duration of the experience as well as verification that the experience is unpaid.
- What if I change my internship?
- The scholarship is only valid for the scholarship listed on your application. Students can edit their application and internship information up until the deadline.
- If I receive a scholarship, how are the funds given to me?
- Scholarships are credited to the student’s Ubill.
- What if my internship company is giving me a travel reimbursement?
- Applicants must have a completely unpaid internship experience to qualify. Students with any kind of stipend or reimbursement are not eligible for this scholarship.
- When will funds appear on my Ubill?
- Funds will be sent to the Office of Student Financial Aid no later than the date indicated below. Processing may take a few days. Funds will be sent to the Office of Student Financial Aid no later than the date indicated below. Processing may take a few days.
Expected dates are posted. Dates may change prior to the scholarship opening.
Summer Semester 2022
|March 1||Applications open for summer|
|April 15||Deadline for submitting applications|
|April 29||Applicants notified of award status|
|May 13||Scholarships available to accept in OneApp|
Fall Semester 2022
|May 31||Applications open for fall|
|July 29||Deadline for submitting applications|
|Aug. 10||Applications notified of award status|
|Aug. 19||Scholarships available to accept in OneApp|
Spring Semester 2023
|Oct. 31||Applications open for spring|
|Dec. 9||Deadline for submitting applications|
|Dec. 22||Applications notified of award stuff|
|Jan. 13||Scholarships available to accept in OneApp|