Human Sciences Week celebrates the Iowa State University College of Human Sciences and its unique, innovative, people-oriented programs and rich traditions with food, dance, games, mixers, exhibits, speakers, and philanthropic events.
The week showcases the college’s commitment to expand human potential and improve people’s lives by advancing diversity and social responsibility, wellness, entrepreneurship, personal financial literacy, and STEM (science, technology, education, and mathematics) education.
Human Sciences Week 2023
Meal Buttons – A week of lunch for $5! All week long, you can enjoy lunch in a tent outside of MacKay Hall buy purchasing a meal button. Order your $5 meal button by April 16 at 11:59 p.m. to enjoy the wonderful food on-campus. Meal buttons can be picked up on the first day of Human Sciences Week at the MacKay Hall South Lawn beginning at 11 a.m. Various events will also be held in the tent and throughout campus.
Canned Food Drive: During Human Sciences Week 2023, there will be a canned food drive at 220 MacKay Hall, Food Science Building Main Office, and Parks Library. All of the donated goods will be given to SHOP at the end of the week.
Ice Cream Coupon: Enjoy a refreshing ice cream from the Iowa State Creamery. The Iowa State Creamery is offering a $1 off coupon for ice cream during Human Sciences Week. Simply present the coupon when purchasing your ice cream! The Creamery Retail store is located on the second floor of the Food Sciences Building in room 2955.
Daily Lunch and Events
All events below are being held in a tent on the lawn south (toward central campus) of MacKay Hall unless otherwise noted.
Remember! You need to buy your $5 meal button by 11:59 p.m. on April 16 to enjoy lunch all week!
Monday April 17
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Chick-Fil-A
- 10 a.m. – Noon: HDFS Fun and Games for All Ages. It’s Time to Play! Join the HDFS Department in learning while you play. Explore the various ways in which we engage in play as we progress throughout the life stages. Challenge a friend to lawn JENGA or Connect Four, take a few minutes to learn how to knit, or get messy with your inner artist and finger paint before you head off to your next class or meeting. Come see us at the south lawn of MacKay.
Tuesday April 18
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Papa John’s Pizza + Insomnia Cookies
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: ISU 4U Promise will be having a photoshoot to create a collage that will go to the students of King and Moulton Elementary Schools in Des Moines. The ISU 4U Promise is a partnership that promotes college-going to the students of King and Moulton Elementary Schools. Head on over to 1218 Lagomarcino Hall to participate!
Wednesday April 19
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Subway
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Join us in the School of Education Makerspace to create a jigsaw puzzle from a digital picture using the process of sublimation. Make a puzzle using your favorite digital picture! Come to the School of Education Makerspace in 0460 Lagomarcino Hall to make your puzzle!
Thursday April 20
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Buffalo Wild Wings
- 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.: Movie Night (0210 Bessey Hall)
Friday April 21
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Panera
- 12 p.m. – 1 p.m.: Graduate Lunch and Learn in 1009 LeBaron. The Graduate Lunch and Learn will help answer your questions and explore whether our in-person, online or hybrid program options are right for you! We’ll treat you to lunch and answer questions like:
- What can I do with a graduate degree in Human Sciences?
- How is grad school different from being an undergrad?
- How do I pay for grad school?
- Should I go straight to grad school or work first?
- Does it matter what undergrad degree I have?
For any questions regarding Human Sciences Week, please contact Phoebe Chong (firstname.lastname@example.org).