In order to stay in the College of Human Sciences Honors program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50
  • Attend College of Human Sciences Honors program orientation
  • Complete Program of Study
  • Participate in at least two 300 level honors seminars
  • Complete one, three credit honors course outside your major for a letter grade (A-F)
  • Complete one, three credit honors course inside your major for a letter grade (A-F)
  • Non-honors courses can receive honors designation with the permission of the course instructor and by completing an honors credit form
  • Complete Project Intent Form
  • Develop an honors project and present at a poster presentation

Each student’s progress will be reviewed at the beginning of each semester. Should a student not make progress, they may be dropped from the program.

What counts as an inside or outside course?

  • For HDFS…. Inside courses are HD FS
  • For ECE….inside courses are EDUC; HD FS; SPED
  • For F C P… inside courses are HD FS
  • For FCEDS…. Inside courses are FCEDS; HD FS
  • For KIN H…. inside courses are H S, KIN, A TR, DANCE
  • For A M D…. inside courses are A M D and AESHM
  • For EVENT…inside courses are EVENT and AESHM
  • For HSP M…. inside courses are HSP M and AESHM
  • For any FS HN major…. inside courses are FS HN and NUTR
  • For EL ED…. inside courses are EDUC

Enrolling in an Honors Course

There are three ways to enroll:

  1. Register for a course with an honors section by using the schedule of classes web page.
    • Once there, select the semester you are looking for, click on toggle advanced search, check show all sections, and enter the word “honors” in the title/keyword search.
      • Previous courses included: A M D 204H, A M D 354H, A M D 372H, HD FS 317H, HSP M 333H, HSP M 439H.
      • Previous outside courses included: ENGL 302H, PHYS 221H, ACCT 284H, PHYS 221H, SP CM 212H, WGS 201H
  2. Register for a non-honors course and contract an honors component with the professor. To receive honors credit, the student and instructor must complete the online honors credit contract by the end of the fourth week of classes. We added a few examples of previous contracts so you can have an idea of what it may look like. 
  3. Successfully complete a three-credit, 500 level graduate course.

The “H” Designation for Honor Courses

The “H” designation for honors courses will not appear on your degree audit while you are enrolled in the course. The “H” designation will appear after grades are posted.

The “H” designation will not appear for graduate-level courses even though they do count as an honors course.

If your honors courses or graduate-level courses do not fall correctly into the honors section of your degree audit, ask your academic advisor to submit a degree audit adjustment.

Need More Information?

CHS Honors Program

131 MacKay Hall
2302 Osborn Drive
Ames, Iowa 50011-1078


Need More Information?

University Honors Program

2130 Jischke Honors Bldg.
603 Farm House Lane
Ames, Iowa 50011-1057