Applying for or Renewing Your Passport

The first step in traveling internationally is obtaining a passport. If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will need to apply in person, and renewals can usually be completed by mail. It can take several weeks after submitting your application to receive your passport, so apply early. 

How to apply for a U.S. passport

How to renew a U.S. passport

CHS Passport Reimbursement Program

The College of Human Sciences International Programs office will reimburse up to 18 students with a CHS major each academic year for costs associated with purchasing or renewing a passport. Your passport must be purchased or renewed solely for the purpose of participating in an Iowa State University study abroad program. Your reimbursement will cover only the cost of the passport book ($130) and the execution fee ($35). Reimbursement is not available for expedited fees, postage, or any other costs you incur during the passport application process. Once approved, the reimbursement amount will be applied to your U-bill.

In order to take advantage of this reimbursement, you be committed to participate in an Iowa State University study abroad program listed on ISUAbroad. You may submit your application up to, but no earlier than, six months prior to the study abroad program departure date. You may not submit multiple reimbursement requests for passport costs to other Iowa State colleges or to other study abroad offices. If you do not participate in the study abroad program or it is discovered a duplicate reimbursement has been made, the CHS International Programs Office can revoke all previously reimbursed fees.

You can apply for a passport reimbursement by submitting an online application. You will need to upload copies of your passport and the itemized receipt documenting your expenses as part of the application.

Need More Information?

CHS International Programs

131 MacKay Hall
2302 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA 50011-1124