Outstanding Advisor Award
Objective: To recognize a professional staff person who has continued to demonstrate outstanding performance in advising undergraduate students throughout their professional career.
Eligibility: A staff person who has a minimum of one year of advising undergraduates in Iowa State University’s College of Human Sciences. An advisor may receive the award only once. Recipients must be Iowa State employees at the time of the College of Human Sciences Awards Ceremony.
Amount of award: $500
Number of awards: One per year, although the College of Human Sciences Awards Committee reserves the right to not select any recipient in a given year.
Criteria: Evidence of outstanding performance as an advisor, as documented by student evaluations, student letters of support and/or supporting documentation of peers who work closely with the nominee.
- Submissions must be in .pdf form and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on the first Tuesday in February. Please name your PDF file “Award title, Last name of nominee” before submitting it (ex: Outstanding Advisor Award, Lee).
- Complete the nomination form.
- All letters should be on relevant letterhead, addressed to the College of Human Sciences Faculty and Staff Awards Committee, and signed by letter writer. Nominations for this award may be submitted by an individual or employing unit. Letters should be written specifically for the nomination.
- Nominating letter: In addition to citing reasons the person is being nominated for this award, the nomination statement should include the percentage of the person’s time that is assigned to advising, the number of undergraduate or professional students that the person is assigned to advise, and a description of the person’s involvement in advising—including departmental, college, and university committees as well as involvement in national advising organizations.
- Summary of advisor evaluation data
- Nominee’s statement of his/her/their philosophy of advising
- Curriculum vitae/resume: An abbreviated version of no more than four pages.
- Student letters: Two letters from students. No more than one page. Students should be in a position to comment on the nominee’s excellence in advising and contributions to the students’ academic and professional growth.